Archive for July, 2009
VoloMedia announced today that it has been awarded what it called the ‘patent for podcasting.’ According to the press announcement, patent number 7,568,213, titled ‘Method for Providing Episodic Media,’ covers: ‘…the fundamental mechanisms of podcasting, including providing consumer subscription to a show, automatically downloading media to a computer, prioritizing downloads, providing users with status indication, deleting episodes, and synchronizing episodes to a portable media device.’
Here’s what the patent claims:
1. A method for providing episodic media, the method comprising: providing a user with access to a channel dedicated to episodic media, wherein the episodic media provided over the channel is pre-defined into one or more episodes by a remote publisher of the episodic media; receiving a subscription request to the channel dedicated to the episodic media from the user; automatically downloading updated episodic media associated with the channel dedicated to the episodic media to a computing device associated with the user in accordance with the subscription request upon availability of the updated episodic media, the automatic download occurring without further user interaction; and providing the user with: an indication of a maximum available channel depth, the channel depth indicating a size of episodic media yet to be downloaded from the channel and size of episodic media already downloaded from the channel, the channel depth being specified in playtime or storage resources, and the ability to modify the channel depth by deleting selected episodic media content, thereby overriding the previously configured channel depth.
2. The method of claim 1, further comprising automatically providing the user with an indication of the availability of updated episodic media via the channel dedicated to the episodic media in accordance with the subscription request.
3. The method of claim 1, further comprising synchronizing the updated episodic media automatically downloaded to the computing device associated with the user with a portable computing device communicatively coupled to the computing device associated with the user.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein synchronization of the updated episodic media automatically occurs in response to a predetermined user setting.
5. The method of claim 3, wherein synchronization of the updated episodic media occurs in response to a request received from the user.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the updated episodic media is made available to users not associated with the computing device over a local area network.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the automatic download is further based on a priority assigned to the channel.
8. The method of claim 3, wherein the channel dedicated to the episodic media is reduced in size during synchronization in order to fit available cache storage within the portable device.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the channel dedicated to the episodic media is modified in size by removing one or more episodes of episodic media.
Some of you forum regulars may know this already, but for everyone else here’s a bit sweet of news: Metalscape now has a new and improved STORE. As in PLACE WHERE YOU BUY STUFF. Most of the revenue will be used to pay for the site’s hosting, which has been paid exclusively by the Ronald Calero Foundation for Underdeveloped Metal Podcasts for the last 2 years. Any profit will probably be used by Zachary to pay off his World of Warcraft debt.
We got a nice variety of products that will continue to grow over the following months. If you have any specific requests let us know and we’ll get our design team on it.
Once again that glorious time is here again my fellow metal believers, so click the link and BUY A SHIRT!
As posted by Zach:
We got t-shirts, we got sweatshirts, we got panties, and buttons, tank-tops and boxers.
Ugly? These will make you sexy.
Sexy? These will make you a master of all things fornicatey.
They say that revenue from subscription fees and ad-revenue (wait, I get to pay a fee and still get a bunch of porn ads? SWEET!) will be used to pay off copyright holders. They also say that users who contribute more of their bandwidth to seeding will receive reduced fees (even free).
Now I’m not exactly opposed to file sharing, but I do have a problem when these companies accept money claiming to support copyright holders but in reality, they don’t. I hope that this doesn’t turn out like another AllOfMP3, I used that service big time and I knew it was too good to be true.
Although to be honest, I have a bit more faith in the swedish than I do in those damn ruskis.
Since Tom’s poll seems to be back firing on him. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the new video from Týr for the song “Hold the Heathen Hammer High”.
While I found the newest album to be disappointing, this is one of the better songs on the disk despite it being one of their most “OMG OMG LOOK AT US WE’RE VIKINGS AND SHIT!!!”. The video is surprisingly well done, not something I expected from the guys who brought you Regin Smiður.
Okay, so there hasn’t been an episode in a while. RON IS MISSING. I haven’t talked to him since sometime last week. He hasn’t responded to emails, nor to forum posts in our hidden “hosts” section. I think foul play is afoot.